I recently attended a baby shower where the theme was 'ready to pop' and by pop I mean popcorn! The table was laden with bowl upon bowl of different flavoured popcorn while every other dish was sized down to resemble some form of a pop.
When I first learned of the theme I was so excited by the possibilities, but it soon had me racking my brain trying to come up with a dish that was 1) relatively healthy 2) savory in nature and 3) looked like popcorn. Eventually I hit upon the idea of coating mini turkey meatballs in a sesame seed crust to resemble little popcorn balls. Bloody brilliant was what I thought. That was until I realised no such recipe existed on the internet, at least none that I could find. After a little improvising and trial and error I believe I've finally perfected a recipe that was good enough to serve up at a party and more importantly, good enough to share on this blog. So here you have it- mini thai style turkey meatballs in a sesame seed crust. Enjoy!
Sesame-crusted Turkey Meatballs1-1/2lb turkey mince
1/4 cup panko
1tbsp ginger minced
2 cloves garlic minced
1 small shallot minced
3 scallions finely chopped
2 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp sesame oil
2 tsp chinese cooking wine (optional)
2 cups roasted sesame seeds to coat
Peanut oil for frying
Sweet chili sauce to serve
1. Combine turkey, egg, panko, ginger, garlic, shallot, scallions, soy sauce, sesame oil, salt and cooking wine in a large bowl.
2. Mix with hands till well combined. Microwave a spoonful of mixture to check if more seasoning is required.
3. Shape 1tsp of meat mixture into a ball and place on tray. Repeat.
4. Once you have a full tray of meatballs, generously coat with sesame seeds. Shake tray to coat underside of meatballs.
5. Heat up enough peanut oil in a pan so meatballs are half immersed.
6. Fry meatballs on medium heat for 2 minutes on either side to crisp the sesame seeds.
7. Transfer back to tray and finish cooking in oven at 350F degrees for 5 minutes depending on size of meatballs.
8. Serve with ample sweet chili sauce or another condiment of choice.
*recipe yields roughly 30 mini meatballs