Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Fortnum's Shortbread with Lebovitz Chocolate Sauce























Okay it's confession time, I utterly love Period films and tv shows. So naturally, I (along with a million other viewers) cannot get enough of Downton Abbey. It has been 7 grueling months since the last episode and I am getting antsy waiting for season three to commence. In the meantime I have been spending all my waking hours over at Downton Abbey Cooks. A website dedicated to Period cooking? Fantastic!

I was quite excited when I came across this shortbread recipe on Downton Abbey Cooks. I mean, who doesn't love shortbread? And a recipe courtesy of shortbread extraordinare, Fortnum & Mason tea house in London. Well that was just begging for me to try out.

Of course no shortbread is complete without some chocolate sauce on the side. And who better to consult for a dessert recipe than David Lebovitz? I searched "David Lebovitz chocolate sauce" and sure enough a recipe popped up. If you like your chocolate rich, dark and complex then this is the for you. If not, you're better off grabbing a bottle of weak sauce chocolate syrup from your local supermarket.




Fortnum's Classic Shortbread

1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/3 cup caster sugar plus extra to sprinkle
1 cup plain flour, sifted
1/2 cup rice flour

1. Prehead oven to 300F, lightly butter or line a 9 inch square pan
2. Cream butter and sugar together in a large bowl. Add sifted flour and rice flour, use wooden spoon to work all ingredients together. Do not over knead.
3. Press mixture into pan. Use the back of a knife to score the batter into 18 fingers. Prick each one with a fork.
4. Bake for 30 minutes, remove from oven and score again. Return to oven and continue to bake for another 30 minutes till mixture is set.
5. Score again and sprinkle with light dusting of sugar. Shortbread should break along scored lines.
6. Cool shortbread on wire rack and store in airtight container. (Recipe slightly adjusted from original)


Lebovitz's Chocolate Sauce

1 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup agave nectar
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 oz semisweet chocolate

1. In medium saucepan mix together water, sugar, agave nectar and cocoa powder.
2. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Remove from heat and stir in chopped chocolate till melted.
3. Let chocolate sauce stand for a few hours to thicken before serving. Store in refrigerator for up to 10 days. (Recipe slightly adjusted from original)

40 comments:

Sophie said...

This looks incredible. Love the way you've laid out the ingredients with visual measurements... Great idea. Sophie x

Http://your-girl-is-lovely.blogspot.co.uk

Anonymous said...

Fantastic! This looks so delicious and very well presented. I love F&M in London!

Jeans and a Teacup said...

This is so cool! I love Downton Abbey as well. I'll have to try this out.
~Jessica
http://jeansandateacup.blogspot.com/

Always Maylee said...

YUM, love this!

xo, Yi-chia
Always Maylee

fabulouspetite said...

Jenee, you make my mouth water right now. I am not a baker but will try this one out. Looks like simple to make especially the sauce. Thanks for sharing.

xo
Sam
http://fabulouspetite.blogspot.com

Molly and Mac said...

This looks absolutely delicious...so happy I stopped by:)

Molly and MacKenzie
www.ruffledromance.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

This looks so decadent, yummy :)

http://monstermagpie.blogspot.com/

Ali said...

Aww! Im sure it tastes great!!


Hugs,

Ali

Invitation To Inspiration said...

Hi dear,
yummy yummy, this looks delicious...:-))I absolutely love Downton Abbey!!!
I am obsessed with this series and can't wait for more... :-))
xoxo

http://www.invitationtoinspiration.blogspot.com/

audrinajulia said...

Looks and sounds delish! you've got a cute mini jar out there.

Sam said...

So delicious! I haven't seen Downtown Abbey yet, but everyone talks about how good it is. Thanks for the comment on my blog! Your blog is great! New follower!!

www.samspinkslippers.blogspot.com

Confessions Of A City Girl said...

This looks yummy! I dont think i've ever had shortbread

~Sherine
Stop by and say HI!

Confessions Of A City Girl

Content Director - Strong Female Leaders said...

Mouth watering. And the perfect present too.
Beauty and Fashion in Seattle | Cheap Makeup Reviews

The Dragonfruit said...

Mmmmm, this looks so yummy and delicious!

Trendy Teal

whiness said...

Thanks for your comment. ;) I actually used google translate. I know it's horrible but I was just too lazy early in the morning.
There's written that today's my name day and I'm going to spend the whole day alone. I'm going to draw and paint (use my new brushes). I also write about that sometimes I hurt only people what I love and it makes me mad at myself. Well, that's probably all.
I'm glad you pointed this problem out. I doubt that I would notice it. Thank you :)

Anyway. Your shortbread looks really delicious. I'm getting hungry again. ;)

Selvaggia Capizzi said...

You don't know how much i love shortbread!
Xx
http://www.dontcallmefashionblogger.com/

Chris Ed said...

Wow, this looks so yummy! All the pics are amazing. I want to try this. Lovely post:)
xx chris

Carla said...

Seems yummy!! I so wanna try this but i never have enough ingredients haha. Anyway great post!

Xo, Carla
misscarlaviolet.blogspot.com

gvozdishe said...

Thank you so much for visiting and following my blog! Follow you too)

Very interesting recipe, be sure I will try!

Benedetta M. said...

Oh it seems a delicious recipe! Now I'm so hungry!!! XD

Kisses,

Benedetta

www.daddysneatness.blogspot.com

Monja said...

this looks so delicious! yummyyyyyy
xo

Lolita in the Mix said...

Why are you showing me this! I need to stay away from those kind of things if I ever wanna have a VS bikini bod haha! Looks delicious!

xoxo lorena

http://www.lolitainthemix.blogspot.com

Ann said...

Thanks for sharing the recipe...
Love Downton Abbey too.

Unknown said...

this looks so delicious, jenee! i love that this recipe calls for tons of butter. anything with butter, i absolutely love. :)

xoxo,
jasmine
ADAM ❤ ALEX

Unknown said...

You're killing me with this recipe!! I wish I could eat shortbread!

xo Jackie
...livingaftermidnite

FP said...

This looks delicious! Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog. Following you back now :)

www.fashionpastiche.com

Unknown said...

Jenee I was just perusing my favorite cookbook by Laura Colwin and she was rhapsodizing on how she would gladly give up chocolate and all other delicacies for shortbread. I wasn't planning on making any but I feel the universe is trying to tell me something-ha! I must be the only person who hasn't seen Downtown Abby so I need to get on that train too.

p.s. I live just a few minutes away from the Ritz Carleton--it's my local beach and such a beautiful place to be married! Your wedding must've been beautiful!

xo Mary Jo

Unknown said...

This looks delicious! YOur presentation is so pretty!

I shot my iced tea on a piece of scrap wood that I painted white, super easy! Not to mention cheap!

xo
Alison

Unknown said...

FAB FAB AMAZING MY CONGRATS!

Alyssa said...

I'm so obsessed with Downton Abbey--I'm familiar with lusting after the (amazing) clothes, but the food of the period never occurred to me! This shortbread looks amazing, I'm definitely going to make it for my next Downton Abbey marathon!

-Alyssa
The Glossy Life

Silvia Negretti said...

That's looks great! :9
amazing photos!
xxx
S

http://s-fashion-avenue.blogspot.it

Jo said...

Love your blog!

xo Jo

http://whiterosesandcoffee.blogspot.ca/

Unknown said...

oh so sweet and looks delicious!

http://www.trendsection.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I love how you've tied them up! And any recipe that begins with butter is bound to be good. :) I love Campbell's shortbread.

xx
Quiet Luxury


Akiko said...

It looks so yummy and pretty presentation too! Thanks for your comment about my necklace. I did make those initial one with a jewelry company in japan when I worked as a apparel designer. So we made not so many and sold out years ago.. Sorry. You have such a great blog by the way & will follow you via GFC. Hope you do the same n Keep in touch! xo akiko
Style Imported

Girls Love Fried Pickles said...

Get in my belly!

Marisa @ Broke with Designer Taste said...

I also love period films! This recipe is definitely a must try! Looks delicious.

Marisa
http://brokewithdesignertaste.blogspot.com/

Angela said...

Oh my gosh, yum.

Chocolate Cookies & Candies said...

This just looks straight out of a food magazine. I've always thought shortbread is difficult to make but now that I've seen your recipe, it looks fairly straightforward, I might just give them a go.

Ashley said...

I love the packaging and great pictures, especially the one with your hot pink nails! Mmmmm

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...