Today's post is a little different to my usual format. Ever since I discovered the wonderful world of Britely I have been reading these delightful little ebooks non stop. I especially love reading the humorous ones, it's such a fun way to kill time. If you haven't come across it yet, Britely is basically a web-based app that allows you to import pictures, add text and then publish these charming little ebooks. You are also able to follow your favoutite authors and add comments and favourite each Brite, so not much different from a regular blog.
After all my reading, I decided it was about time I created my own Brite. These past few days have been extra lazy in my household. Everyone was in a holiday mood and I have been too lazy to cook. The other night, after searching for ingredients to put together a fast and healthy meal I decided to try my hand at risotto. Being in the lazy mood as I was, standing at the stove stirring non stop for half an hour just seemed ridiculous. Instead I thought I'd try baking my arborio rice into a risotto. The dish turned out surprisingly well. I do believe the fresh asparagus, lemon and shrimp helped immensely in turning an otherwise homey dish into more gourmet fare.
No-Stir Asparagus, Shrimp and Lemon Risotto
1 lb peeled shrimp
1 bunch fresh asparagus
1 zest of lemon
1 medium sized onion, diced
1 1/2 cup arborio rice
4 cup chicken stock
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Bring chicken stock in saucepan to boil, cover and remove from heat.
2. Saute diced onion over medium heat until softened, season with salt and pepper, approximately 7 minutes.
3. Add rice to onion, and stir until rice turns translucent around edges, approximately 3 minutes.
4. Pour rice and onion mixture into an oven proof casserole dish with lid. Add heated chicken stock.
5. Bake at 350F for 30 minutes, covered.
6. Cut asparagus into 1 inch segments. Boil approximately 5 minutes and transfer to ice bath.
7. Season shrimp and pan fry till cooked through, approximately 7 minutes. I like to season with garlic powder, salt and paprika.
8. Zest one lemon.
9. Once rice is ready, combine shrimp and asparagus. Stir in lemon zest and grated parmesan cheese.
10. Garnish with fresh parsely and shaved parmesan.